Thursday, October 21, 2010

Social Bookmark 4

http://www.ric.edu/astal/multicultural/books.html

I want to do my Multicultural Review on 5 books for young adults. These books will all be looking at Native American culture. This website is a great source for finding multicultural books for children or young adults.

The reason I want to do Native Americans is because when we think of minorities, blacks and hispanics are the first to come to mind, usually. I think Native Americans can be overlooked a little bit.

I want to do young adult books because I want to be a Children's/Youth Librarian and those are the kinds of books that I'd be suggesting to children. Right now I can't really name any Native American young adult books off the top of my head. I think this assignment will be helpful for when I really am a librarian!

I thought it was cool that the first book listed on the website is about Amish people. I wouldn't automatically think of them as a different culture, but they really are! The book also covers classics like Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry by Mildred D. Taylor, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou and The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan.

It looks like a great website for people who want to read multicultural books, but aren't quite sure where to start. I like how the website covers different reading levels. There are short picture books as well as long novels. Additonally, there is nonfiction as well as fiction represented on this book list.

I also like how at least one book (Goodnight Opus by Berkeley Breathed) is about the multicultural difference between a grandmother and a grandson. There are so many ways to be multicultural!

No comments:

Post a Comment