Friday, November 5, 2010

Scholarly Review

"There are several important reasons to bring more focus to ongoing research about diversity, inclusion, and underrepresentation in LIS, as well as to encourage more work in this area. Consistent exposure to this area of research stands as a key means through which students in LIS programs can become ready to provide inclusive information services to the wide range of patrons they will encounter in their professional lives." ((Jaeger, Bertot, & Franklin, 2010) )

I like this quote! I think multicultural services should be about how to provide the best service possible to a wide range of people. Much of this class has been studying one race versus another race, whereas it'd be fun if instead of focusing on racial tensions we learn how to resolve them. Or at least manage them better.

There are so many people in this world and so many races that go to libraries in the United States. I want to be a Children's Librarian and I want to make sure that all children from every race feels accepted in my library. I want to offer programs and stories and books that speak to each person where he or she is. I want to learn how to be a good librarian for children who are not just my race, but any race.

I guess it is hard to except that a class can teach one how to resolve racial tensions. Obviously all of us acknowledge that they exist, or we wouldn't be taking a class about multicultural services.

I've gained knowledge through this class about projects and activities that I can do with children to broaden their understand of different cultures, and I think that's great. I'm currently reading up on Children's books about Native Americans for my Multicultural Review due next week. I like being more familiar with multicultural literature and wish I had an opportunity to study it more in depth: more races and more books!

It'd be fun if this class was somehow expanded over more semesters so that we had a chance to look at several different races rather than just one. I think multiculturalism is a broad enough topic that it could cover many semesters. I love learning about other cultures, Asian, Hispanic, Jewish, African American, European American... I just wish there was time for them all!








Jaeger, P.T., Bertot, J.C., & Franklin, R.E. (2010). Diversity, inclusion, and underrepresented populations in lis research. Library Quarterly, 80(2), 175-181.

No comments:

Post a Comment